Garam Masala Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Mix cumin, coriander, cardamom, pepper, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg in a bowl. Place mix in an airtight container, and store in a cool, dry place.
Curry masala Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
In a blender or food processor, combine cumin, coriander, turmeric, red pepper flakes, mustard seed, and ginger. Process to a fine powder. Store in an airtight container.
Ingredients Sambar Masala Power
Sambar is a vegetable stew or chowder based on a broth made with tamarind and toor dal, and is very popular in the cooking of southern regions of India especially in Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh. Each state in the South prepares it with a typical variation, adapted to its taste and environment.
- 1/2 Cup coriander seeds
- 1/4 Cup cumin seeds
- 1/4 Cup chana daal (large split yellow lentils)
- 1/4 Cup urad daal (black gram)
- 1/4 Cup fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 Cup black peppercorns
- 1/4 Cup dry red chilli flakes
- 1/4 Cup grated desiccated coconut
- 1/4 Cup mustard seeds
- 20 Dried curry leaves
- 2 Tablespoons turmeric powder
- 2 Teaspoons asafoetida powder
How to make a Sambar Masala Power
- Roast all the ingredients – except the asafoetida – on a hot griddle till they begin to release their aroma.
- Cool on a tray.
- Add the asafoetida and grind into a fine powder.
- Store in an air-tight container.